Hoh Environmental Health Laboratory
Professor Eunha Hoh, Ph.D.
School of Public Health, San Diego State University
A description of our research can be found in the following SDSU NewsCenter articles and videos:
Example projects are:
- Assessment of thirdhand cigarette smoke pollution. This project is a collaboration with Dr. Georg Matt, SDSU Department of Psychology and Dr. Penelope Quintana, SDSU School of Public Health.
- Identification of contaminants potentially affecting the conservation of California condors. This project is a collaboration with Drs. Christopher Tubbs and Ignacio Vilchis of the San Diego Zoo.
- Studying the degration of oil released by the Refugio spill. This project is a collaboration with Dr. Natalie Mladenov, SDSU College of Engineering.
- Evaluation of Decentralized Water Treatment Systems (DEWATS) by non-targeted mass spectrometry. This project is a collaboration with Dr. Natalie Mladenov, SDSU College of Engineering.
Dr. Hoh is a member of the California Ocean Protection Council’s Science Advisory Team, an expert interdisciplinary group formed to address issues impacting the state’s coastal and marine ecosystems.
Dr. Hoh is a member of the California Environmental Contaminant Biomonitoring Program Scientific Guidance Panel. The role of the panel is to:
- Make recommendations regarding the program’s design and implementation. This includes making specific recommendations regarding chemicals that are priorities for biomonitoring in California.
- Provide scientific peer review for the California Environmental Contaminant Biomonitoring Program.
Our recent journal article Assessing Toxicity and in Vitro Bioactivity of Smoked Cigarette Leachate Using Cell-Based Assays and Chemical Analysis was selected as an ACS Editor’s Choice article (2019).
The Hoh Laboratory is a member of the SDSU Blue Gold Area of Excellence.
Research projects are funded by NIH, NSF, NOAA, California SeaGrant, and the California TRDRP.
Group Member News
August 2020 Laila Hamzai started her Ph.D. in Global Health at SDSU/UCSD under the supervision of Drs. Quintana and Hoh.
August 2020 Nalima Joshi received the Cornelius Hopper Diversity Award Student Fellowship from the California Tobacco-Related Disease Research Program.
June 2020 Jordan Alejo, Pam Olguin, and Jade Johnson received SDSU Research Scholarships.
June 2020 Jade Johnson received a Switzer Fellowship.
February 2020 Research Assistant Daniel Chang started a new job at Eurofins.
November 2019 Laila Hamzai received a Student Support Research Fellowship from the California Tobacco-Related Disease Research Program.
November 2019 Pamela Olguin received the Cornelius Hopper Diversity Award Student Fellowship from the California Tobacco-Related Disease Research Program.
October 2019 Jade Johnson was selected as the recipient of a graduate student research grant from the Southern California Chapter of the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry.
September 2019 Elisa Dufloux, visiting graduate student from Sigma-Clermont (France), successfully completed her three month research internship.
June 2019 Carolina Molina and Professor Carlos Manzano from Universidad de Chile completed a two month stay in our laboratory for a collaborative project.
May 2019 Margaret Stack received the Best Graduate Student Presentation Award from the Southern California Chapter of the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry.
May 2019 Jade Johnson received the Betty Joe Crawford Memorial Award in recognition of her commitment to mentoring, outreach, and outstanding contributions to further the advancement of others in STEM fields.
April 2019 Margaret Stack took 1st place at the CSU Student Research Competition in the Interdisciplinary Category.
April 2019 Margaret Stack received a CSU Council on Ocean Affairs, Science, and Technology (COAST) Student Travel Award.
March 2019 Margaret Stack received the President’s Award at SDSU’s Student Research Symposium.
August 2017 Jennifer Cossaboon started the DVM/Ph.D. Dual Degree program at the School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California Davis.
May 2017 Jennifer Cossaboon received the Hanlon Award for Outstanding Graduate Student in the SDSU Graduate School of Public Health.
April 2017 Chelsea Basirico started a position at the U.S. Naval Hospital.
September 2016 Cuong Tran started the M.D. program at the University of Washington Medical School.
August 2016 Raisa Luna started a position at the Department of Environmental Health, County of San Diego.
July 2016 Jenn Cossaboon was elected to the board of the Southern California SETAC Chapter.
May 2016 Jenn Cossaboon was awarded the 2016 Southern California SETAC Chapter’s Graduate Research Grant.